Chef Garretts Steak Au PoivreFrom sparow64 6 years ago
- 2 thick, premiun steaks (New York strip or filet mignon works best) approx. 6 to 8 oz each. shopping list
- 3/4 cup roughly cracked peppercorns (all black or a mixture of black,green and white ) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups demi glace or good beef gravy. shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1 T. good brandy shopping list
- 1 oz. butter shopping list
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil shopping list
- pinch of sea salt shopping list
How to make it
- Trim any excess fat or gristle from meat.
- Leave out of fridge for 20 minutes or so to achieve room temp. Using the flat of a frying pan or a rolling pin, crush peppercorns. Press steaks into cracked peppercorns.
- Melt butter and vegetable oil in a heavy saute pan.
- When sizzling, add steaks and allow to brown, forming a peppercorn 'crust'.
- Cook to preferred doneness (when checking with a meat probe, 105 degress is rare, 120 is medium rare, 140 medium.)
- Remove meat from pan and place on a warm plate to rest.
- CAREFULLY tip brandy into hot frying pan (it may ignite - watch out!) Pour in brown gravy.
- Stir to gather up all the bits at bottom of pan - this is where the flavor comes from.
- Add heavy cream, bring to boil.
- When thick enough to coat a spoon, it's ready.
- Return steaks and any accumulated juices to pan.
- Check salt.
- Allow steaks to absorb the sauce flavors for a minute or two.
- Serve immediately
The Cooksparow64 Sweetwater, TN
The Rating4 people
I'm wishing I could taste this tonight! Where is this fine establishment? My complements to you for such a great recipe.
Denisegrandmommy in Nashville loved it
Wonderful! Thanks for posting!pat2me in Nashua loved it
Oh my goodness, this sounds heavenly. I'ma have to get over that way one day to eat...--Kn0x--knoxcop in Knoxville loved it