Chef Garretts Steak Au PoivreFrom sparow64 8 years ago
- 2 thick, premiun steaks (New York strip or filet mignon works best) approx. 6 to 8 oz each. shopping list
- 3/4 cup roughly cracked peppercorns (all black or a mixture of black,green and white ) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups demi glace or good beef gravy. shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1 T. good brandy shopping list
- 1 oz. butter shopping list
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil shopping list
- pinch of sea salt shopping list
How to make it
- Trim any excess fat or gristle from meat.
- Leave out of fridge for 20 minutes or so to achieve room temp. Using the flat of a frying pan or a rolling pin, crush peppercorns. Press steaks into cracked peppercorns.
- Melt butter and vegetable oil in a heavy saute pan.
- When sizzling, add steaks and allow to brown, forming a peppercorn 'crust'.
- Cook to preferred doneness (when checking with a meat probe, 105 degress is rare, 120 is medium rare, 140 medium.)
- Remove meat from pan and place on a warm plate to rest.
- CAREFULLY tip brandy into hot frying pan (it may ignite - watch out!) Pour in brown gravy.
- Stir to gather up all the bits at bottom of pan - this is where the flavor comes from.
- Add heavy cream, bring to boil.
- When thick enough to coat a spoon, it's ready.
- Return steaks and any accumulated juices to pan.
- Check salt.
- Allow steaks to absorb the sauce flavors for a minute or two.
- Serve immediately
The Cooksparow64 Sweetwater, TN
The Rating4 people
Oh my goodness, this sounds heavenly. I'ma have to get over that way one day to eat...--Kn0x--knoxcop in Knoxville loved it
Wonderful! Thanks for posting!pat2me in Nashua loved it
I'm wishing I could taste this tonight! Where is this fine establishment? My complements to you for such a great recipe.
Denisegrandmommy in Nashville loved it