Best Cuban SandwichFrom lenysik 5 years ago
- 1 organic mini baguette (6 ounces whole grain, if available) cut in half and sliced open to make 4 halves shopping list
- Canola mayonnaise and Dijon mustard, to taste (optional) shopping list
- 4 very thin slices nitrate-free Black Forest or other lean deli ham shopping list
- 4 very thin slices nitrate-free deli smoked peppered turkey breast shopping list
- 4 very thin slices nitrate-free deli salami shopping list
- 1 large organic dill pickle, thinly sliced shopping list
- 4 very thin slices Jarlsburg Lite or organic swiss cheese shopping list
- Optional ingredients: shopping list
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves shopping list
- 2 thin slices purple onion shopping list
- 2 slices red pepper, raw or roasted shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle, or a double-sided sandwich maker such as a Foreman Grill. Spread mustard and mayonnaise as desired on each piece of the bread.
- Layer 2 slices each of the ham, turkey, salami, and cheese on 2 pieces of the bread.
- Layer even amounts of pickle between the meat and cheese. If desired, top each with even amounts of spinach, purple onion, and red pepper.
- Using the top of the bread, make 2 sandwiches.
- Place them on the hot skillet or griddle. (If desired, you can use a small amount of clarified butter on the grill).
- Lay a heavy iron skillet or other heavy skillet on top of the sandwich. (You may need to prepare one sandwich at a time). Flatten the sandwich to about 1/4 of its original size, grilling for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. If using a double-sided sandwich maker, grill for 3 to 4 minutes, watching carefully.