SvekolnikFrom deedeec 6 years ago
- 50 oz Kvass (a fermented drink made of black or rye bread) shopping list
- 50 oz beef decoction (beef stock) shopping list
- 6 beets, cooked and cut in straws shopping list
- 4 carrots, cooked and cut in straws shopping list
- reserve cooking liquid from beets, strained shopping list
- 2 green onions, diced and salted shopping list
- 2 celery sticks, sliced finely shopping list
- 4 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut in straws shopping list
- 4 eggs, soft boiled shopping list
- 1 cup lemon juice shopping list
- 1 cup sour cream shopping list
- 2 tsp sugar shopping list
- 2 Tbs wine vinegar or pickle juice shopping list
- 2 Tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 Tbs fresh dill, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 Tbs black pepper, ground shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Wash vegetables.
- Cook beets and carrots seperately. Cool. Save beet liquid.
- Prep vegetables
- Add chilled kvass and vegitables to beet liquid
- Add sugar, lemon juice, vinegar or pickle juice, pepper, parsley and dill. You're aiming for a sweet and sour flavor. Adjust vinegar or pickle juice to achieve desired flavor. Salt as needed.
- Just before serving add a dollop of sour cream and a soft boiled egg to each bowl.
- Variations: for a meal rather than a side add cooked sliced sausage or diced ham. Even heartier, add diced cooked potatoes. Like it spicey? add dollop of horseradish and a spoonful of hot mustard to bring on the heat. For a creamy version add Kefir (yogurt) in place of beetroot liquid.