Green GumboFrom dmajor 8 years ago
- 1 bag of frozen mustard greens shopping list
- 1 bag of frozen turnip greens shopping list
- 1 bag of frozen collard greens shopping list
- 2 bags of frozen spinach shopping list
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup celery, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup sliced green onions shopping list
- 1 cup diced ham shopping list
- 32 oz. chicken broth shopping list
- water shopping list
- 1 stick butter shopping list
- 1/2 jar of dark roux or 1 cup homemade roux shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic shopping list
- Creole spice to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Place frozen greens and spinach in a large stock pot and cover with broth and enough water to cover greens.
- Bring greens to boil, lower heat, cover and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook onions, celery, sausage, ham, and garlic in butter until onions are transparent and meats are lightly browned(about 4 minutes)
- Add to greens and continue to cook greens for 30 minutes, adding more water if needed.
- Whisk roux with a little warm water until smooth.
- Bring greens to a second boil.
- Stir in roux and spices, stirring well to make sure all roux is dissolved.
- Lower heat and continue to cook on low/med heat for the last 30 minutes. Serve over cooked rice and with your favorite hot sauce(Crystal's) and French bread slices
The Cookdmajor Slidell, LA
The Rating4 people
This is one tasty dish although some may argue that a gumbo has to have okra to qualify. I love all the greens.
Michaeltrigger in loved it
Is this recipe anything like the "7 Green" Gumbo
that is made for the New Year's holiday?
I like your recipe and I am pleased to have it!
A "5" FORKS !
....mjcmcook....mjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Wow, this is wonderful. Unique and intensely green.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!