Upside Down Shepherds PieFrom jencathen 6 years ago
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, cut in chunks shopping list
- 2 tablespoons milk shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided shopping list
- 1 pound ground sirloin shopping list
- 3/4 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup corn kernels shopping list
- 1/2 cup beef broth shopping list
- 1/4 cup ketchup shopping list
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1/3 cup shredded white cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot of salted water, add potatoes - bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain off water and place potatoes back in the hot pan to evaporate some of the excess water. Add milk, butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper - mash until desired consistency. Scoop the mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish lightly coated with nonstick spray. Spray to an even thickness - use damp fingers to form a little lip around the edge to hold in the meat mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high, add beef and onions - cook until the beef has cooked through and the onions soften, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour and continue to cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in corn, stock, ketchup, Worcestershire, remaining salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Scoop the meat mixture over the potatoes and scatter the top with cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookjencathen TX
The Rating5 people
Just love Shepherds Pie! Thanks for this recipe and the information. Sounds delicious! :)rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
Sounds delicious....it is pretty chilly here in South Australia right now so this will be a perfect meal this week.debwin in Toronto loved it
Wow - how cool is that? I love shepherd's pie and this is a very nice change up for the classic look. Great post, Jen - thanks so much! :) Vickielunasea in Orlando loved it