Gluten Free PitaFrom crabhappychick 5 years ago
- 1 package yeast shopping list
- 1/2 cup warm water shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour shopping list
- 1 cup sorghum flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum shopping list
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1 cup warm water shopping list
- 1 egg, or 1 T. ground flaxseed mixed with 3 T. warm water shopping list
How to make it
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add sugar and stir until dessolved. Let sit for 10-15 minutes until water is frothy.
- Combine flours, xanthan gum and salt in large bowl using a HEAVY-DUTY mixer (Kitchen Aid or equivalent). Pour in yeast mixture and egg (or egg substitute) and mix on medium speed using paddle attachment.
- Slowly add 1/2-1 cup warm water and mix on medium for 2 minutes. Add enough water so that dough is soft and tacky, not liquid.
- Coat large bowl with vegetable oil and place dough in bowl. Turn upside down so all dough is oiled. Allow to sit in warm place for about 2-3 hours or until it has increased in size.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Using bottom rack of oven, place baking sheet in oven as it preheats.
- Pinch off 12 small pices of dough and place pieces on floured surface.
- Roll each into a circle, about 5-6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick.
- Place several circles on preheated baking sheet and bake for 4 minutes until bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for additional 2 minutes.
- Remove each from baking sheet with spatula and gently push down each puff. Repeat with the rest of the raw dough. Serve immediately or freeze pita in a plastic storage bag for up to a month.