Chocolate Meringue And Mint Chip Ice Cream CakeFrom annieamie 8 years ago
- 10 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided shopping list
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 4 large egg whites shopping list
- 2 pints mint chip ice cream, slightly softened shopping list
- 1/2 cup chilled whipping cream shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/4 cup chocolate sprinkles shopping list
- *See note below! shopping list
How to make it
- Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 200°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Trace two 12x4-inch rectangles, spaced slightly apart, on 1 paper. Trace one 12x4-inch rectangle on second paper. Turn papers over (marked lines should show through). Sift 3 tablespoons sugar, powdered sugar, and cocoa into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large bowl until frothy. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 5 tablespoons sugar, beating until whites are stiff and glossy. Fold in cocoa mixture. Spread 1/3 of meringue (about 1 1/2 cups) evenly over each marked rectangle. Bake meringues until dry, reversing sheets every hour, about 4 hours total. Turn off oven; leave meringues in oven overnight.
- Lift meringues from parchment. Place 2 meringues on work surface. Gently spread 1 pint ice cream over each, being careful not to press hard to avoid cracking meringues. Place 1 filled meringue on long platter. Top with second filled meringue, then third meringue, pressing lightly to adhere. Cover and freeze assembled cake at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Beat cream, vanilla, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in small bowl until peaks form. Spread whipped cream on top layer of meringue to cover; scatter chocolate sprinkles evenly over. Cut crosswise into slices and serve.
- I have made an ice cream cake using layers of the Nabisco Chocolate Wafers, mint ice cream, and whipped heavy cream. It comes out nicely and even though it lacks the meringue, it made a wonderful dessert item. Sprinkle some chocolate sprinkles on the top or add some shaved dark chocolate. Experiment with various ice creams for a treat anytime!
The Cookannieamie Los Angeles, US
The Rating3 people
Love all of it, it would be great for that summer barbque, thanks.hopscotch in loved it
Oh my! Mint chip ice cream is a staple in our house.And my favorite way to serve it is over chocolate cake, so this recipe is "right up my alley"! Thank-you, and here is a 5 for you.jeffsgirl in Medford loved it
That's my kind of desserts annieamie and I would love to see the one made with Nabisco :)ahmed1 in Cairo loved it