Easy French Onion SoupFrom crabhappychick 7 years ago
- 3 pounds onions, thinly sliced - use the slicer on the food processor! shopping list
- 6 16 ounce cans beef broth (or chicken or a combination shopping list
- 6 cans water shopping list
- 1 stick butter shopping list
- 1 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1/4 c. sherry - optional shopping list
- shredded swiss cheese shopping list
- parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Saute onions in butter until soft but not brown. Add broth, water, thyme, salt & pepper. Simmer about an hour and 15 minutes. Before serving you can add 1/4 cup sherry.
- Ladle soup into oven proof bowls & float a thick, toasted slice of french bread on top of toup. Quickly layer shredded swiss cheese & dust with parmesan then another layer of swiss and bake soup at 425 until puffed & brown.
- Leftover soup may be frozen...without the bread and cheese, of course.