Chow ChowFrom crabhappychick 5 years ago
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage, core removed shopping list
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 2 cucumbers, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup white vinegar shopping list
- 2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the cabbage, red bell pepper, cucumbers, onion and salt in a large colander, and place the colander in the sink (Nana used a wooden peck basket). Put a plate to fit inside the colander on top of the vegetables and weigh down with a few large, heavy cans of food.
- Let drain for an hour.
- Bring the vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, celery seed, hot red pepper and turmeric to a boil in a large pot over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the vegetable mixture and return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the cabbage is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chowchow to a 1-quart canning jar or medium bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. (The chowchow can be made up to 3 weeks ahead, covered, and refrigerated.) Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving.
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating4 people
This would be great on sausage burgers!!!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
I do love chow-chow, and I especially love your recipe because it makes a smaller amount and can be put into the refrigerator immediately! Thank you very much for sharing. :)rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
Yeah baby.. Great on Bratsjimrug1 in Peoria loved it