Homemade Tomato PasteFrom jencathen 5 years ago
How to make it
- Heat oven to 300°. Roughly chop tomatoes. Heat 1⁄4 cup of the oil in a 12" skillet over high heat. Add tomatoes and season lightly with salt; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until very soft, about 8 minutes.
- Pass the tomatoes through the finest plate of a food mill, pushing as much of the pulp through the sieve as possible, leaving the seeds behind.
- Rub a rimmed 13" x 18" baking sheet with remaining 2 tbsp. of oil; spread tomato purée evenly over sheet. Bake, using a spatula to turn the purée over on itself occasionally, until most of the water evaporates and the surface darkens, about 3 hours. Reduce heat to 250°; cook until thick and brick colored, 20–25 minutes.
- Store sealed in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month, or freeze, wrapped well in plastic wrap, for up to 6 months.
- My Hint: If freezing put them in ice cube tray that has a cover or just wrap well in plastic. That way if you only need a tbsp or so you can just pop it out.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookjencathen TX
The Rating5 people
GREAT recipe Jen! Thank you and five forks! :)lanacountry in Macon loved it
Really great! I never have enough tomato paste! 5 from me!
Kathtippystclair in North Hollywood loved it
I just love making my own ingredients....Great post...:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it