Nawleans PralinesFrom hienz1 8 years ago
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter. shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream. shopping list
- 2 cups granulated Cane sugar (unfiltered, unbleached, natural). shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar. shopping list
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecan halves. shopping list
- 2 cups chopped dates. shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. shopping list
How to make it
- THIS RECIPE CALLS FOR IMMEDIATE ATTENTION FROM THE COOK. DO NOT LEAVE COOKING UNATTENDED.
- Cover 3 large baking sheets with Wax Paper and set aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, warm the butter and cream over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until butter is melted. DO NOT CURDLE THE CREAM.
- Immediately right after, stir and blend in sugars, chopped Pecans, Dates.
- Increase heat and boil about 5 minutes (TEST: put a drop of mixture into a cup of cold water - if mixture makes a hard ball, IT IS READY).
- Mixture will turn a little brownish in color.
- Remove from heat when TEST confirms mixture is ready.
- Immediately, using a tablespoon, quickly drop praline mixture by spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between each dropping.
- USE EXTREME CAUTION - DO NOT SPLASH - MIXTURE WILL BURN.
- Let pralines cool and harden ONLY at room temperature for AT LEAST 4 hours.
- After 4 hour cooling time, store in airtight container. Pralines will keep fresh for 2 weeks.
- Serves best with coffee.
- ALTERNATIVE: Add Rum to the mixture before spooning it onto wax paper, BUT ONLY AFTER REMOVING MIXTURE FROM HEAT. The Rum could catch fire. A shot or 2 will do it.
The Cookhienz1 Miramar, FL
The Rating5 people
Hi, I have had many pralines but never one with dates! Interesting! I do love my pralines! Thanks for sharing! Debdmajor in Slidell loved it
Nawleans Pralines~~ Yeah..got it saved and you
got my fiver!! Thanks! * * * * * :)lanacountry in Macon loved it
Printed this 'un!! :) A++lanacountry in Macon loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!