South Indian SambarFrom angieaugusta 7 years ago
- 1 cup yellow dal -toordal (pressure cook) shopping list
- 2 tbsp channadal shopping list
- 1 bunch coriander leaves shopping list
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds shopping list
- 2 tbsp cumin shopping list
- 1 bunch curry leaves shopping list
- ginger-garlic -2 cloves shopping list
- 1 tsp grated coconut (optional) shopping list
- 1 tsp hing-asafotida shopping list
- 1 tsp jaggery or sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp fenugreek shopping list
- mix sambhar vegetables (drumstick,brinjal,potato) shopping list
- 1 tbsp mustard shopping list
- 4 tbsp oil shopping list
- 1 large onions shopping list
- 2 tbsp peppercorns shopping list
- 6 piece redchilli shopping list
- 1 tbsp rice shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- tamrind water-1/2 c shopping list
- tomatoes -1 cut medium shopping list
- 1 tsp turmeric shopping list
How to make it
- Sambhar masala:- Heat heavy pan, over medium heat, and add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns
- And coriander seeds,red chillies ,rice, channadal. Stir and dry roast for 3-4 minutes
- Reducing the heat if necessary to take care that the spices don't burn.
- In the same pan, heat 2 teaspoons oil and roast garlic ginger ,hing ,turmeric When they start to colour continue roasting.
- Add the pan contents to the bowl and cool along with the spices.
- Add all to a grinder and make it into a fine paste.
- Sambhar making:- Heat one teaspoon of the oil in a heavy pan, over medium heat, and add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds,hing ,red chillies &cumin seeds.
- Add the onions ,turmeric powders, stir add curry leaves ,chopped green chillies and mix vegetables
- Add tomatoes tamrind juice and add water and cook till the vegetables are half done add sambhar masala
- Add mashed dal and cook for 30 min in slow flame.nice fragrance of sambhar
- Add seasonings ,sugar and finish of with coriander leaves enjoy with rice, idli ,dosa
The Cookangieaugusta Adelaide, Australia
The Rating4 people
Im SALIVATING ........
Can't wait to try ... with a gooey bull's eye : Dcholena in Food World loved it
Good morning Angie, This is delicious. The mixture of spices is fabulous.elgab89 in Toronto loved it
This looks and sounds right up my foodie alley! I love the flavors. Thank you - and a high 5 for you, hon! :)lunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!