HOTSOUR SOUP W SHRIMP NAPA CABBAGE SHITAKE MUCHROOMSFrom ladyjayne 8 years ago
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. Thai red curry paste* shopping list
- 3 14-oz. cans low-salt chicken broth shopping list
- 2 kaffir lime leaves or 1 tsp. finely grated lime peel** shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. minced peeled fresh ginger shopping list
- 1 Lb. uncooked deveined peeled medium shrimp, halved lengthwise**** shopping list
- 4 oz. shitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced,: 1/8 " thick sliced shopping list
- 8 oz. napa cabbage, cut crosswise into 1/8 " thick slices (about 4 cups) shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice shopping list
- Chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
- Chopped fresh green onions shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add curry paste and stir until beginning to stick to pot, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, kaffir lime leaves, and minced ginger.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and mushrooms.
- Cook until shrimp begins to turn pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage; cook until beginning to wilt, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Divide among bowls & sprinkle w/ chopped cilantro and green onions.
- Tips: Using *Thai red curry paste is an easy way to add tons of flavor and some heat to your cooking. It is available in Asian food sections of most supermarkets: it is known as gaeng pet. Also, I found several recipes to make this paste from scratch, but haven't tried it yet because the "THAI KITCHEN" brans is somewhat expensive, but SO easy!!
- **Kaffir lime leaves, which come from kaffir lime trees in Southeast Asia and Hawaii, & have a floral-citrus aroma, The leaves are sold frozen and are sometimes available fresh at Southeast Asian markets. I used finely grated regular lime zest and it was just fine.
- ***I used Trader Joes frozen shrimp and they worked just fine! No cleaning/deveining, just had to halve!
The Cookladyjayne Yountville, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!