Rican Red Rice with Pork and GandulesFrom debbie919 5 years ago
- 3 boneless pork chops, cut into bite size pieces shopping list
- 4 Tbs. oil shopping list
- 1 can diced tomatoes (reg size) shopping list
- 1 sm can tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 tsp sugar, approx. shopping list
- 3 cups long cooking rice, more or less, plus water for cooking shopping list
- 1 can gandules (green pigeon peas) shopping list
- Sofrito ing.- shopping list
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 1 sm. onion, diced shopping list
- 1/4 cup rough chopped salad olives (or more to taste) shopping list
- 2 to 3 cloves of minced garlic shopping list
- oregano, basil, parsley, cilantro...1 tsp each or to taste shopping list
- S & P to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in large pot, such as a dutch oven.
- Saute onion, bell pepper, olives, and seasonings til fairly soft.
- Add garlic, cook a minute more.
- Throw in the pork cubes, cook and stir til browned .
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and peas. Continue cooking for a couple of minutes.
- Then add raw rice, stirring well, cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add water, (about 2 c. water for 1 c. rice)
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat, til mixture is at a simmer. Cover, and cook about 10 min.
- Stir, then cover again, and continue cooking for another 10 min, or until rice is done.
- You can also use beef, chicken, shrimp instead of pork. If using shrimp add them during last 10 minutes of cooking.