Almond And Mascarpone Rice Pudding With VanillaFrom chefelaine 6 years ago
- 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds, divided shopping list
- 1 L carton almond beverage, about 4 cups shopping list
- 2½ cups whipping cream shopping list
- 1 cup arborio or other Italian short-grain rice shopping list
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided shopping list
- ¼ tsp salt shopping list
- ¼ to ½ vanilla bean or 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spread out almonds on a dry tray; bake 5 to 8 minutes or until golden. Cool on a rack. Finely chop half the almonds; set all separately aside.
- Combine almond beverage, whipping cream, rice, 1/2 cup
- sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Split vanilla bean lengthwise; scrape out seeds. Add pod and seeds to rice mixture. (If using extract, do not add.)
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for 8 to 10 minutes, or just until mixture begins to simmer.
- Reduce heat as needed to between medium and medium-low.
- Gently bubble, partially covered and stirring frequently, especially near the end of cooking time, for 35 minutes or until rice is tender and mixture is very creamy.
- Take out and discard vanilla pod.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Beat eggs with remaining ¼ cup sugar with a whisk in a small bowl until just combined.
- Stirring constantly, whisk in several spoonfuls of hot rice mixture; then whisk egg mixture back into remaining rice mixture in pan.
- Return to medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes to cook eggs and thicken pudding.
- Stir in chopped almond and spoonfuls of mascarpone cheese—and vanilla extract, if using.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. (Or lay a piece of plastic directly on pudding surface; refrigerate for up to 2 to 3 days. If cold pudding thickens too much for your taste, thin with milk.)
- Serve sprinkled with remaining toasted almonds and sliced kumquats or other colourful fruit.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating9 people
Almonds are one of the nuts I love the bestkitchenhappy1 in Toronto loved it
Almonds,and cream, and rice, oh my!mamalou in Attleboro loved it
love it, Elaine! 5
Petedagnabbit in Barrie loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!