Cherry Turnovers from scratchFrom divaliscious 8 years ago
- ***Ingredients for Standard Pie Pastry: shopping list
- 2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2/3 cup chilled shortening (such as Crisco) shopping list
- Very Cold water 6 tablespoons shopping list
- ***Homemade Cherry Filling for Turnovers: shopping list
- This filling can also be used over cheese cakes, and as cake fillings. shopping list
- 3/4 cup home cooked or canned sour cherries, with juices drained and reserved. shopping list
- 1/2 cup white sugar shopping list
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 cup cherry juice shopping list
- egg wash (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- With pastry blender, break and cut half of the shortening into flour and added salt until mixture resembles corn meal, then add remaining shortening and continue blending until mixture resembles the size of small peas.
- This creates a tender yet flaky crust - a big secret here folks....
- Most recipes have you add the shortening all at once....
- Sprinkle tablespoons at a time of the chilled water into the pastry dough, using the pastry blender until mixture is combined.
- Wrap up pastry dough into wax paper and place into fridge to chill for at least one (1) hour.
- While the pastry is chilling, prepare your homemade filling so that it is also ready.
- Once pastry dough is thoroughly chilled, roll out onto lightly floured surface, and roll till 1/8 thick.
- Cut out squares or circles to create your turnovers.
- Place on cookie sheets, add 1/4-1/3 cup of filling to each turnover.
- Before folding over turn over to close over filling, add a little of water to fingers and wipe edges to help seal turnovers. Then fold over pastry.
- Using fork, press edges closed.
- Do an egg wash over turnovers for a shiny look - beat one egg yolk and add 1 tablespoon water, then brush egg yolk over raw pastry turnovers.
- Create several slits with a knife into the tops of the turnovers to allow the steam to be released during the baking stage.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar and place into freezer to chill until ready to bake.
- Use a preheated oven at 425 degrees and allow turnovers to bake on the middle rack for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Directions for Homemade Cherry Filling for Turnovers:
- Filling can be used over cheese cakes and as cake fillings for two layered cakes
- Add sugar and cornstarch to 2 quart pot.
- Add cherry juice drained from cherries, cook over medium heat until clear and thickened stirring constantly.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract for serious extra flavor which matches really well with the cherries.
- Once slightly cooled, add to your turnovers, fold over as described above and bake in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before diving in.... enjoy!
- You could also create a simply confectioner's sugar glaze as you would use on cinnamon buns if you are so inclined, simply take one cup of powdered sugar, sift, then add 1/4 cup of milk, whisk till combined. Add a little more milk if you need to to create a syrupy concoction, then drizzle of cooled turnovers.
- photo courtesy of preparedpantry.com - though I must say, mine look a lot better than this photo, though they glazed the entire turnover instead of creating stripes of the glaze.
People Who Like This Dish 10
- DoraSoSweet Richmond, Va
- chippy1262 Martinsburg, West Virginia
- cookiewoman Convoy, OH
- jett2whit Union City, GA
- zanna MOUNT CLEMENS, MI
- minitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
- mistro Detroit, MI
- cdg6565 Bloomingdale, IL
- heatherinal Boaz, AL
- jeffsgirl Medford, OR
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating6 people
I'll take one please ...... oh let me go get my drink first.ok .im back and ready now ...............oh this is so good hahahaha.........high 5minitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
I could live on these!
I've got my drink, too! We're waiting!!!
:}tippystclair in North Hollywood loved it
Sounds great for grandson....not the drinks ;the turnovers. Thanks for sharing:)zanna in MOUNT CLEMENS loved it