Singapore Hainanese Chicken RiceFrom wokkingmum 9 years ago
- Ingredients for CHICKEN: shopping list
- 1 chicken, preferrably Kampong aka Ranch chicken shopping list
- 8 clove garlic, lightly smashed with skin intact shopping list
- 5 slices ginger shopping list
- 1 - 2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- water shopping list
- Ingredients for RICE: shopping list
- 3 cup long grain rice, shopping list
- broth from cooking chicken shopping list
- 4 slices ginger shopping list
- 5 glove garlic, lightly smashed with skin intact shopping list
- 8 Pandan leaves, tied in a knot shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- Ingredients for the CHILLI: shopping list
- 3 Chillies, top and seeds removed shopping list
- 1 slice ginger shopping list
- 4 glove garlic, skin removed shopping list
- juice of 3 limes shopping list
- 5 tablespoon of chicken broth shopping list
How to make it
- For the CHICKEN:
- Stuff garlic and ginger in chicken and seal with toothpick.
- Blanch chicken.
- Boil a pot of water and add salt.
- Simmer the chicken for about 20 - 25 minutes or till cooked.
- Retain broth for use on rice, chilli sauce and soup.
- Plunge chicken in ice water for about 15 minutes or till chicken is no longer hot.
- Remove from water and drip dry.
- Cut chicken into pieces.
- For the RICE:
- In a wok, add 2 teaspoon oil, preferably oil from frying chicken skin or the congealed fats you get when you refrigerate your chicken broth. Otherwise, vegetable oil is fine.
- Saute ginger and garlic till fragrant.
- Add in washed rice and saute till rice is coated well with the oil.
- Add salt to taste (about 1 teaspoon is enough).
- Stir to mix well.
- Pour rice with ginger and garlic to your rice cooker.
- Add in broth from chicken you cooked earlier instead of your usual water.
- Add in the pandan leaves.
- Let your rice cooker do the cooking. ;)
- For the CHILLI:
- Blend all ingredients together, till smooth.
- That's all!
- - Add more chilli if you prefer it to be more spicy.
- - Add less broth if you prefer it to be thicker.
- Additional - SOUP:
- A bowl of soup is always served with a plate of Chicken Rice. Just in case, you get choked for eating too fast. Hehehe ...
- To make broth more tasty, return the bones from the chicken to broth and continue simmering for another hour. Retain 5 tablespoon of the broth for the Chilli Sauce.
- Add salt to taste. Add some shredded lettuce in a bowl and pour soup over it. Serve with the Chicken Rice.
- Additional - SAUCE to be drizzle over Chicken:
- Made from one part each of light soy and sesame oil to about 4 parts chicken stock.
The Cookwokkingmum Singapore, SG
The Rating4 people
What makes Kampong chicken different? A description would help me find a similar critter in Italy.
Anyway, I like the sound of this very well indeed.decobabe in Citta Di Castello loved it
Mmmmh, sounds delicious - but I think I cannot get "Pandan leaves" here, can I substitute them with something?coffeebean in Bern loved it
now that you tell me ppl are looking for this dish , this is gonna be the first dish i will hunt when i go to singapore, in a mean time i will cook this onekitchen_fantasy in Bluffton loved it