Green Sauce Chicken EnchiladasFrom maxy_bo 6 years ago
- 2 – 2 1/4 pounds chicken pieces shopping list
- 2 - 3 celery stalks; cut in 1-inch chunks shopping list
- 1 onion; cut in large chunks shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- Green Sauce ingredients: shopping list
- 1 quart chicken stock shopping list
- 2 pounds tomatillos, peeled shopping list
- 5 fresh serrano chilies with seeds and pith removed, minced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 onion, diced shopping list
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, minced shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 pinch sugar shopping list
- 1 pinch salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon butter shopping list
- 1 tablespoon flour shopping list
- Filling ingredients: shopping list
- 2 green bell peppers, diced shopping list
- 2 onions,diced shopping list
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and diced shopping list
- 2 cans diced green chiles shopping list
- Chicken stock; (optional) shopping list
- oil shopping list
- 16 corn or flour tortillas shopping list
- 16 thin slices monterey jack cheese (can substitute cheddar) shopping list
- Garnish options: shopping list
- sour cream shopping list
- black olives shopping list
- grape tomatoes shopping list
How to make it
- Place chicken pieces in large pot and cover with water.
- Add celery, onion chunks, salt and pepper to taste and cook until chicken is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken from broth and set aside to cool. Strain broth and reserve for sauce.
- For sauce: Combine all ingredients except butter and flour in large saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally and skimming off foam as it rises to surface. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is consistency of puree, about 1 hour, gently piercing tomatillos with fork as they become soft.
- Strain sauce and return to pan.
- Combine butter and flour to form paste. Add to sauce; cook over medium heat until sauce returns to boil and thickens slightly. Set aside; keep hot.
- For filling: Combine peppers, onions, tomatoes and chilies in large skillet.
- Place over medium heat and cook until soft, stirring constantly and moistening with chicken stock if necessary.
- Remove meat from cooled chicken and shred. Add chicken to filling and cook few minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble: Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Lightly oil skillet and fry tortillas until soft, about 10 to 20 seconds on each side. Roll each tortilla gently in paper towel to remove excess oil and keep pliable. Place about 1/4 cup filling in each tortilla, roll up and place seam side down in lightly greased 9 x l3-inch baking dish.
- Top each with thin slice cheese. Bake until heated through and cheese melts, about 20 minutes.
- Cover with hot green sauce and top each enchilada with sour cream and an olive or tomatoes.
The Cookmaxy_bo OK
The Rating5 people
Wow, these look and sound delicious. I love cooking with tomatillos and adore green sauce. I am printing this to try and I'll let you know when I make it. I know from reading the ingredient list that I am going to love them. Thanks for the great ...morelunasea in Orlando loved it
Not only does this sound delicious, it sounds absolutely authentic. Will be making this for company soon!crabhappychick in Pittsburgh loved it
great post.... looks like the ticket to a great dinner... davewolfpackjack in Raleigh loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!