Orange Chocolate Chip MuffinsFrom peetabear 6 years ago
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup semisweet, milk or white chocolate chips shopping list
- 3/4 cup milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon orange oil OR 1 to 2 tablespoons grated orange peel, to taste shopping list
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, optional shopping list
- additional sugar, for sprinkling on top shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, egg and orange oil or peel till light. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients (along with the coconut, if you're using it) and stir gently for 20 seconds, or only until all of the ingredients are moistened. If you see lumps in the batter, that's OK; don't try to stir them out, or your muffins will be heavy instead of tender!
- Lightly grease the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan, and fill each two-thirds full with batter. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon (or more) sugar over each for a crunchy, sugary crust.
- Bake the muffins in a preheated 400°F oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven, let them cool in the pan for about 5 minutes (or until they've set enough to be handled), and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 12 muffins.