Maida Heaters White Pepper and Ginger Lemon CakeFrom crabhappychick 5 years ago
- breadcrumbs for dusting shopping list
- finely grated zest of 2 large lemons shopping list
- 2 T. lemon juice shopping list
- 1/2" long 1" wide piece of fresh ginger shopping list
- 3 c. sifted flour shopping list
- 3/4 t. baking soda shopping list
- 3/4 t. baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 t. salt shopping list
- 2 t. moderately packed, finely ground fresh white pepper shopping list
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, plus extra for pans shopping list
- 1 3/4 c. sugar shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 1 c. buttermilk shopping list
- lemon Glaze: shopping list
- 1/3 c. lemon juice shopping list
- 1/2 c. sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Butter 10-12 c. tube pan, including the center tube. Shake out excess.
- In a small cup, mix the rind and juice. Grate the fresh finger and add it to the lemon juice mixture. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Using electric mixter, beat the butter until soft, add sugar and beat for a minute. Then add the eggs one at a time.
- On low speed add the sifted dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk. Remove from the mixer and stir in lemon and ginger mixture.
- Turn into prepared pan and smooth the top. Place in the bottom third of the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15-20 minutes at 325 until it tests done.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a rack over a large piece of foil to catch glaze.
- Prepare the glaze when you put the cake in the oven. Stir juice and sugar together and let stand while the cake is baking.
- When the cake is removed from pan, stir the glaze and brush the glaze all over the cake - including the center hole. The cake will absorb all the glaze. Be sure to use any glaze that collects on the foil, too.
- Let stand until completely cool.
- NOTE: When the cake is cool, cover completely with plastic wrap. Letting it age one or two days allows the flavors to mellow.