Easy Hamburger SoupFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained shopping list
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced shopping list
- 4 large carrots, halved and thinly sliced shopping list
- 10 whole peppercorns shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley shopping list
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth and water.
- Add celery and carrots.
- Place peppercorns on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag.
- Add to beef mixture.
- Stir in thyme and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Return to a boil.
- Stir in barley.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in parsley.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Discard spice bag.