Oxtail StewFrom myszreesey 5 years ago
- 12 ounces dried lima beans shopping list
- 4 pounds oxtails shopping list
- 2 large vidalia onions, chopped shopping list
- 3 scallions, chopped shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed shopping list
- 1 bunch fresh thyme shopping list
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes shopping list
- 4 teaspoons hot paprika shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce shopping list
- 4 tablespoons gravy master shopping list
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth shopping list
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste shopping list
- 2 tablespoons salt shopping list
- Right rice, recipe follows shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl, cover lima beans with water, cover with a towel and soak overnight.
- In a large pot, add oxtails, onions, scallions, garlic, thyme, red pepper, paprika, bay leaf, hot sauce, and gravy master and marinate at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
- Add enough water to just cover the oxtails and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cover and cook 2 hours. Every 30 minutes for 2 hours add 2 cups of water or broth, alternating, as necessary, to keep oxtails covered with liquid.
- At 2 hours, add the beans, tomato paste, and 2 more cups of beef broth and water, if needed. Bring to a boil then simmer uncovered 2 hours, skimming fat off top and stirring occasionally. In the last 1/2 hour of cook time, season with 2 tablespoons salt. Serve with rice.
- Right Rice:
- 2 cups rice
- Rinse rice 3 times to remove starch. Put rice in a medium saucepan. Fill saucepan with enough water to cover the rice by 1/2-inch or measure by placing your thumb tip on the rice and filling the pot with water until the water reaches the middle of your thumbnail. Bring rice to a simmer, cover and cook until tender and liquid is evaporated, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice stand another 5 minutes, covered.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookmyszreesey Auburn, NY
The Rating5 people
Oxtail meat is so moist and tender...I love it!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
I totally love oxtail stew and havn't made it an age as my husband is a picky eater, sigh but Im gonna have to make this baby giving you a 5 as I love lots of spice too!capedread in Peterborough. Cambridgeshire loved it
Delious *****high 5tinadc in Cape Town loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!