Vigan Longganisa - Pork SausageFrom jrt_mom 5 years ago
- 2 lbs lean pork meat, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 lb pork fat, diced shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salitre (saltpeter) shopping list
- 1 ½ heads garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1/3 tsp ground bay leaf or 1 leaf finely chopped shopping list
- 3 tbsp brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup soy sauce shopping list
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 2 tsp sweet paprika shopping list
- 1 tsp coarsely cracked black pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional) shopping list
- sausage casing or 3 tbsp cornstarch if using skinless method shopping list
How to make it
- Combine all ingredients except casing and let stand for 1 hour.
- Fill casing w/ mixture.
- Twist and tie ends of casing with kitchen cord to form a link of sausage (usually at every 4 inches interval).
- Put mixture in a container with lid and cure in the refrigerator for 2-5 days. Best kept in chiller. Another curing method is to hang sausages above brick oven for 3-5 days.
- To cook, put desired amount of sausages in a skillet.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of water to come up to about 1/2 inch of skillet.
- Let simmer over medium heat until water evaporates, about 10 minutes. Prick sausages with fork.
- Stir-fry in its own fat for 3-5 minutes or until sausage is caramelized or skin turns reddish brown. Add a little oil if necessary.
- Serve hot with garlic rice, sunny side up or scrambled eggs, sliced tomatoes with spicy vinegar on the side.
- * For skinless method, add cornstarch to mixture, roll desired amount of mixture into balls using your hands, then roll mixture to form short sausages. Arrange side by side each other in a container with lid or wrap individually in wax paper. Keep covered and refrigerate for 3-5 days to cure before frying.
The Cookjrt_mom Metro Manila, PH
The Rating5 people
Great recipe! I love it! Excellent photos too!
Susansitbynellie in Glasgow loved it
Leila this recipe is over the top I love recipe takes me back to when we had a sausage meat machine and me and my dad would make our own recipes.
flagged as beautifultrigger in loved it
Ohhh Leila...how wonderful. I love your recipe and have printed it right out. I cannot wait to make these. Just look at them...my mouth is watering. Thank you so much, hon - and high 5. I also flagged your pictures as beautiful. Wow - great pre...morelunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!