Apple Pie BarsFrom mamajune 7 years ago
- Ingredients shopping list
- CRUST: shopping list
- - 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- - 1 tablespoon sugar shopping list
- - 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- - 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- - 1 cup vegetable shortening (not oil) shopping list
- - 2 eggs shopping list
- milk (up to 2/3 cup) shopping list
- FILLING: shopping list
- - 1 1/2 cups crushed corn flakes shopping list
- - 12 to 14 apples (peeled, cored, and sliced) shopping list
- - 1 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- - 2 teaspoons cinnamon shopping list
- GLAZE: shopping list
- - 1 cup powdered sugar shopping list
- - 2 teaspoons lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- CRUST: In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Cut-in 1 cup vegetable shortening. Separate the eggs. Place egg yolks in a one cup measuring cup and add milk to the egg yolks until milk and egg yolks equal 2/3 cups.
- Blend the egg mixture into flour mixture until it reaches a dough consistency.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out 1/2 of the dough to fit the bottom of the jelly roll pan. The crust will be very thin.
- FILLING: Cover crust with crushed corn flakes. Cover corn flakes with prepared apple slices. In separate bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over apple slices. Roll out the remaining dough and cover the apple mixture with it. The dough will be very thin.
- Beat remaining egg whites until they appear semi-stiff. Brush them onto the crust.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven.
- GLAZE: in a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice for glaze. Blend until smooth. Adjust consistency (add lemon juice if too dry; add powdered sugar if too runny). Drizzle glaze over the top of the warm bars.
- Bars can be served warm or cold, and they freeze well, too.
The Cookmamajune High Point, NC
The Rating7 people
What a great idea for a big family gathering! Thanks for posting.tpatti in Wellsville loved it
I LOVE your recipe. I have never seen anything like this and I think it's just great!
Cheers!!!lor in Toronto loved it
LOOKS SO GOODburgandy26 in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!