Simple KibbehFrom jaeleepoms 8 years ago
- 2 lbs ground beef or lamb shopping list
- 1/2 lb. bulgur cracked wheat, medium or #2 shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon allspice shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin shopping list
- 2 medium onions, 1 finely chopped, and 1 coarsely chopped, divided shopping list
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (optional) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- vegetable oil for frying shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium bowl, soak wheat for 30 minutes in cold water. Remove and drain. Remove excess water by squeezing through thick paper towel or cheesecloth. Place into medium bowl and combine with 1 lb. meat, coarsely chopped onion, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Combine well and place small amount in food processor until dough-like consistency. You can slowly add an ice cube at a time during processing if needed. Place mixture aside, covered.
- In a medium frying pan, sauté the finely chopped onion in olive oil. If you are using pine nuts, add them at this time. Add ground lamb or beef and chop well with spatula to ensure the meat is chopped. Add allspice, salt, pepper, and cumin. Once beef is light brown, remove from heat. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Take an egg sized amount of shell mixture and form into a ball. With your finger, poke a hole in the ball, making a space for filling. Add filling and pinch the top to seal the ball. You can then shape it into a point, or football shape, or leave as a ball.
- Fry in 350 degree oil on stove top or in deep fryer for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Makes 25 medium sized kibbeh.
- Kibbeh can be store in the freezer in an airtight, freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Prepare and do not fry until ready to use.