Chicken And Andouille Sausage RaguFrom mountainmama 6 years ago
- 9 chicken thighs with skin and bones (about 4 pounds), well trimmed shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 pound chicken andouille sausage or other fully cooked spicy smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, diced shopping list
- 2 large onions, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh marjoram (from about 2 large bunches) shopping list
- 6 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 2 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice shopping list
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth shopping list
- Campanelle pasta with parsley butter shopping list
- 1 pound campanelle (trumpet-shaped pasta), fiori, or fusilli pasta shopping list
- parsley butter shopping list
- 1 cup (packed) coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley shopping list
- 2 teaspoons (packed) grated lemon peel shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, peeled shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
How to make it
- Place chicken thighs, skin side down, on work surface. Using sharp knife, cut each thigh lengthwise along each side of bone, forming 2 pieces of meat (some meat may remain on bones); reserve bones.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken and bones with salt and pepper. Working in batches, sauté in pot until brown, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to bowl. Add sausage to pot and sauté until brown, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to bowl with chicken. Add carrots and onions to pot and sauté until onions are tender and golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup marjoram, garlic, lemon peel, and crushed red pepper; sauté 2 minutes. Add wine and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juices and broth; bring to boil. Add chicken, bones, sausage, and any accumulated juices from bowl. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken and sausage to bowl; discard bones. Boil liquid in pot until reduced to 3 cups, about 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup marjoram. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return chicken and sausage to pot. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Rewarm over medium heat before serving.) Spoon ragù over Campanelle Pasta with Parsley Butter.
- For parsley butter:
- Finely chop parsley, lemon peel, and garlic in processor. Add butter and process until well blended. Season parsley butter to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.)
- For pasta:
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Transfer pasta to large serving bowl. Add half of parsley butter (about 1/3 cup) to pasta (reserve remainder for Broccoli Rabe with Parsley Butter); toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.