Chocolate Italian Spice CookiesFrom christinem 6 years ago
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup cocoa shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 3 tbsp. baking powder shopping list
- 5 cups flour shopping list
- 2 tsp. cinnamon shopping list
- 2 tsp. ground cloves shopping list
- 2 tsp. nutmeg shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 cup chopped walnuts shopping list
- 3 cups (18 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips shopping list
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten shopping list
- 1/2 cup corn or canola oil shopping list
- 2/3 cup milk shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, oil and milk.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and mix together until a firm dough is formed. (Start mixing by spoon, but switch over to using your hands - you will almost have to knead it to get the wet and dry ingredients thoroughly combined, but they WILL come together!)
- With lightly oiled hands, roll dough into 1 1/2" balls. (Note: The verbal recipe indicated "roll into walnut-sized balls", but I think my walnuts are bigger than hers! :) I like to go with about 1 1/2" balls - they will puff up a bit, so use your discretion.)
- Place on greased cookie sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes; let cool 3 to 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- FOR ICING: Combine 2 cups confectioner's sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract and enough milk to make a thin (but not too thin) icing (approximately 2 tbsp.). Mix until smooth and drizzle over cooled cookies or dip tops of cookies into icing and let stand until dry.