Swiss Chard Mac and CheeseFrom danerin2 8 years ago
- 1 large bunch swiss chard leaves, well cleaned and sliced into ribbons shopping list
- 1/2 pound whole wheat pasta (I used rotini) shopping list
- 4-6 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 1 leek, white and light green parts, chopped shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons flour shopping list
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock shopping list
- 2 cups milk (I used 1% and it was just fine) shopping list
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (divided) shopping list
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (divided) shopping list
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- nutmeg shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Blanch chard leaves in boiling salted water for 2 minutes.
- Drain chard and squeeze to remove excess water.
- Cook pasta until al dente, don't overcook because it's going in the oven again.
- Saute leek in butter and oil until softened.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Heat stock and milk.
- Add hot stock and milk to saute pan with leeks, garlic and roux, stirring until well combined.
- Simmer stock mixture until it thickens slightly.
- Add half of cheese and mix until melted.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Combine pasta, chard and sauce mix.
- Taste, correct seasonings, and pour into oven-safe dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and bread crumbs on top of pasta, and bake for another 15 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
The Cookdanerin2 Medford, NJ
The Rating3 people
Love mac and cheese, and love chard!mamalou in Attleboro loved it
In the fall season I love to make things different with my garden fresh vegetables.
Your Swiss Chard Mac And Cheese is perfect.
Michaeltrigger in loved it
I love chard too! And this sounds delicious! Bookmarked + ^5. Thanks for sharing :)
Lorilori4flavor in Chicago loved it