Elaines Cranberry Mandarin Layer CakeFrom chefelaine 7 years ago
- 4 cups cake and pastry flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup white sugar, OR 1/4 cup stevia shopping list
- stevia is a natural substitute; an herb that when dried and ground into powder, tastes EXACTLY like sugar, but without its harmful effects for those who must observe sugar restrictions. shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1/3 cup olive or canola oil shopping list
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1 cup water (you may add a little more if the batter is too dry) shopping list
- 3 tbsp butter shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries or cranberry sauce, preferably unsweetened shopping list
- 3 mandarin oranges, sectioned shopping list
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds shopping list
- 3 cups whipped cream (made with REAL whipping cream) shopping list
- For sugar-restrictive diets, sweeten this with 1 1/2 tsp stevia. shopping list
- For non-restrictive, use 1 tbsp white sugar shopping list
- another tsp pure vanilla extract (for the whipped cream topping) shopping list
- 2 tbsp lemon zest shopping list
- 2 tbsp lime zest shopping list
How to make it
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs,beating in thoroughly one at a time
- Add vanilla
- Add the oil
- Add the water and butter
- Add 1/2 cup cranberries
- Add one mandarin orange, sections minced or pureed
- Combine well.
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Prepare two 9 " round cake pans by buttering and flouring, shaking off excess flour
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean
- Cool in the pan on wire rack
- When completely cool:
- Whip the cream, adding the sugar (or Stevia) and vanilla until stiff peaks form
- Ice the cake with this, both layers
- To the first layer, spread a generous portion of cranberry and mandarin, then sprinkle with half of the lemon and lime zest.
- Put the top layer on, and cover top entirely with a generous portion of cranberry.
- Cover the entire cake with the remaining whipped cream.
- Garnish with mandarin sections, and sprinkle the remaining lemon and lime zest on top.
- This recipe will produce a DENSE, but RICH cake, smooth in flavor, and not too sweet. The fruit addition sweetens it perfectly, along with the heavy whipped cream. Please be aware this cake will NOT brown much, so don't think it is under-baked when you remove it from your oven!
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating13 people
Well Chef another great cake gotta love the flavor combo, thanks bunchesmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Yummers, Laine!! :)55555lanacountry in Macon loved it
wow this sounds heavenly elaine thank you for sharing could you send it right over please !!!!!hahahahahahaminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!