Homemade French BreadFrom falafel_fanatic 6 years ago
How to make it
- Make sure water temperature is 110 to 115 degrees F.
- Place water in a large bowl and sprinkle with yeast and sugar.
- Let stand for 5 minutes until yeast dissolves and starts to bubble. Stir in 2 cups flour and salt.
- Cover and let rise for 1/2 hour.
- Then gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. (Knead by pressing on the dough, then folding over and pressing with the heel of your hand.)
- Then clean the large mixing bowl, grease it with solid shortening, and place the dough in the bowl.
- Turn it in the bowl so the dough is greased (this prevents the top from cracking as it rises).
- Cover the dough and let rise at room temperature for about 2-1/2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
- With your fist, punch down the dough.
- Divide in half and place one half on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a 12x6" rectangle. Starting with the 12" side, roll up tightly. Seal seams and edges by pinching. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Grease a cookie sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Place loaves on prepared sheet.
- Cover and let rise at room temperature until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray the loaves with a bit of water, then using a blade, made a few slashes across the top of each loaf.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until loaves are golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on wire rack.
The Cookfalafel_fanatic Bardstown, KY
The Rating4 people
Sounds good. Thanks :)donman in Hammond loved it
Definitely going to be trying this out! It sounds quick and easy. Thanks.michelle73 in Melville loved it
Love any kinda bread, this one's no exception. Been looking for a good but easy baguette recipe.
Thanks for sending it.danadooley in Singapore loved it