Roasted Chickens with BaconFrom czekit7 6 years ago
- 2 chickens, each 4-4.5# shopping list
- olive oil as needed shopping list
- ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- 12-16 bacon slices shopping list
- 2 Tbs ginely diced shallots shopping list
- 1 tsp. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup white wine shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. chicken demi-glace shopping list
- 1 cup chicken broth shopping list
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme shopping list
- 2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 2 pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Blot chick dry with paper towels. Tub back sides with oil; season on both sides with pepper. Place chickens, breast side up; tuck wings behind breasts. Drape bacon slices over breasts.
- Place chickens, bacon side up, on rack in roasting pan. Roast until thigh registers 170 degrees (approx. 1-1.25 hrs), tent chickens with foil if bacon becomes too dark. Transfer to carving board, tent with foil.
- Discard all but 2 tsp fat from pan. Set pan over medium-high heat; warm reserved fat. Add shallots; cook 2 minutes. Add flour; cook 30 seconds. Add wine; whisk in demi-glace and broth. Simmer 3-4 minutes. Off heat, whisk in thyme and butter. Carve chickens. Drizzle with some of sauce; pass remaining sauce alongside. Serve with champagne.
- **I've never used the demi-glace (sold by Williams-Sonoma), and use the jarred chick-broth paste in the broth aisle at the grocery store. I don't have racks for the inside of my 9X13 pan, so I make .5 in slices of onion, bunch them up single-layered on the bottom of the pan, and then place the chicken on top (so the chicken doesn't burn on the bottom). I use a little more white wine, and use every ounce of fat in the bottom of the pan, along with the sliced up onion that I used as a "rack" for the chicken. Again...very tasty...ad lib all the way!! :)
The Cookczekit7 Pryor, OK
The Rating3 people
This recipe sounds really good thanks for the post and high fives to you and that cute little Mini Pin.
Bakermanrooster--Richardbakermanrooster in Wichita loved it
Oh my goodness, does this sound delicious! This is a definite save and a must-try. Five forks for you! Thanks! - Nataliefizzle3nat in Waterville loved it
I really like your ingenuity in improvising a rack! This one is in my family's NEAR future!crabhappychick in Pittsburgh loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!