Venezuelan Cheese ArepasFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 10 fluid ounces warm water or as needed shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 8 ounces masa harina flour ( no substitute) shopping list
- 4 ounces manchego cheese, ( a mild white Spanish cheese ) gratedor crumbled shopping list
- oil, for shallow frying shopping list
- 1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced shopping list
- 16 black olives, pitted and halved shopping list
How to make it
- Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and gradually add the warm water, mixing to form a stiff dough.
- Add the cheese and knead the dough for a few minutes then form into 4 balls.
- Flatten the balls to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the arepas and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until crisp and golden, turning 3 or 4 times.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- To Serve - split the arepas in half, place on serving plates and garnish with avocado, tomato slices and olives.
- Note: andd i like to split in half and even add a slice of mozarella cheese!