Peggy Hills Brown BettyFrom tippystclair 7 years ago
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 cups 1/4-inch bread cubes shopping list
- 2 Tbsp melted butter shopping list
- Grated rind of 1 lemon shopping list
- 2 pounds large apples shopping list
- 2 to 4 Tbsp cold water (optional) shopping list
- 1 tsp orange juice shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine the nutmeg and the sugar and set aside 2 tablespoons. Put the bread cubes in a bowl and toss with the rest of the sugar mixture, melted butter, lemon rind and orange juice.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples into wedges.
- Line the bottom of a heavy 1 1/2-quart casserole with 1 cup of the bread cubes.
- Layer half of the apples over the bread and top with 1/2 cup of the bread cubes.
- Layer the rest of the apples in the casserole and sprinkle with water. Cover with the rest of the bread cubes and evenly sprinkle the reserved 2 Tbsp of sugar over the top.
- Place lid on casserole or cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Take the lid off the betty, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until apples are tender and the topping is brown.
The Cooktippystclair North Hollywood, GB
The Rating3 people
kath this is great i love the avatar hahahahaha brown betty rules hahahahaminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Got to love these one dish wonders especially a Brown Betty like this.
High Five Kathytrigger in loved it
Hey great recipe love the orange juice and lemon added great flavors thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!