Cornbread DressingFrom susanmay 7 years ago
- 4 c. crumbled cornbread, dried shopping list
- 2 c. crumbled baking powder biscuits, dried shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 c. celery, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 c. butter shopping list
- 2 c. chicken broth shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 1 tsp. thyme, crushed shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. sage, crushed shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread and biscuits; set aside.
- In medium saucepan cook onion and celery in the butter for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in about 1 c. of the chicken broth. Add egg, thyme, and sage.
- Add onion mixture to cornbread mixture, tossing gently to coat. Add enough more of the remaining broth to moisten the stuffing as desired.
- Transfer to 1 1/2 qt. shallow casserole.
- Bake, covered, for about 45 minutes.
- Note: If making the cornbread and biscuits from scratch You will need to prep them at least a day ahead of time. To get 4 c. of cornbread, crumble about 1/2 of an 8" square pan of cornbread. For the biscuits, crumble 3-4 3" biscuits. To dry, place in a large roasting pan and cover loosely with a clean dishtowel. Let stand overnight to dry.