Beef Stew Made In A Cast Iron Dutch OvenFrom donman 7 years ago
- 2 lb stew beef (a 3 lb chuck roast trimmed of all of the fat works best) shopping list
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- ½ cup of vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons Donnie’s cajun seasoning Mix (Recipe can be found with my recipes on my profile page. Or use equivalent ingredients.) shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 2 cans beef broth (14.5 oz.) shopping list
- 4 medium carrots (washed and sliced, 1 inch long then in half) shopping list
- 2 stalks celery ( washed and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces) (optional) shopping list
- 1 medium onion (cut into 1/8’s) shopping list
- 4-5 medium russet potatoes (washed, skin left on and cut into 1/8’s) shopping list
- 1 Teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 pkg of McCormick beef stew seasoning mix shopping list
How to make it
- Cut up carrots, celery and potatoes and soak in a bowl of water.
- Cut meat into 1 ½ - 2 inch pieces.
- Place flour, cajun seasoning and beef into a gallon size Zip Loc bag.
- Shake well to the coat beef evenly.
- Into a 6 quart Dutch oven, on medium high heat (2 notches above med. on my stove), heat the vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, brown the meat. (brown on all sides) Add a little more oil if the meat starts to stick or the flour starts to burn.
- Into the Dutch oven (with the meat and oil), add the water and the beef broth then mix well.
- Add the beef stew seasoning, salt and mix well.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery and onion next and mix well.
- Bring to a boil then simmer (1 notch above lo on my stove) for 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are good and tender.
- Stir (with a flat bottom wooden spoon) at least every 15-20 minutes to make sure the gravy doesn’t stick and burn on the bottom of the pot.
- If gravy thickens while cooking, add some more water.
People Who Like This Dish 16
The Cookdonman Hammond, LA
The Rating8 people
You know, the dutch oven,Tony and I go way back! lol Great recipe! Thanks for posting.m2googee in Tomball loved it
Was huntin a good beef stew dont have to look no more thanks donman.wow picture makes this even more awsomemomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
I get the leftovers don!
Love cast iron cooking...thanks for the post.
joymariemystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it