Borinquen Jibarito SandwichFrom chefboriqua 6 years ago
- 1 large green plantain, peeled and sliced lengthwise and in half (4 pieces) shopping list
- oil (for deep frying) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon butter shopping list
- 2 teaspoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin shopping list
- 1-2 pinch cayenne or dried chipotle powder, to taste shopping list
- 6 ounces shaved shoulder steak (or other tender cut such as flank, or thinly sliced chicken breast meat) shopping list
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
- 4 slices American cheese shopping list
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise shopping list
- romaine lettuce shopping list
- thinly sliced tomatoes or roasted red peppers shopping list
- 1 teaspoon melted butter shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted minced garlic shopping list
How to make it
- (Also, you will need 2 heavy cutting boards - rectangular ones work better with the shape of the plantain).
- Heat oil, then fry the peeled and sliced plantain for 1 minute.
- Remove plantain from oil, place on a heavy cutting board (if wooden, wrap board in plastic first, which will assist in the spreading of the softened plantain), top with another cutting board, and flatten the plantain between them.
- Fry the now-flattened plantain in the oil again, until outside is golden and crispy; remove from oil, set aside on paper towels to blot oil, and keep warm.
- Over medium high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil together, then sauté the onions until just becoming soft.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and cayenne (to taste), stir well, then add the meat slices and sauté until browned; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread mayonnaise on bottom slice of flattened fried plantain, lay down 2 slices of American cheese, then the meat and onions. Top with lettuce and thinly sliced tomato (or roasted red pepper), then the remaining plantain top.
- Combine 1 teaspoon melted butter with 1/4 teaspoon roasted minced garlic, then brush the top plantain slice with the butter garlic mixture.
- Repeat steps to make another sandwich.
- Jibaritos can also made with other combinations of roast pork, white or dark chicken meat, vegetables or ham - don't be afraid to experiment. replace mayo with my mayoketchup sauce
The Cookchefboriqua Paterson, NJ
The Rating3 people
Sounds great! I have been to a restaurant in Old San Juan named Jibarito! It is the best home made food!!linspj in New Hartford loved it
Sounds tasty,will have to try,thanks.............Bobrobertg in loved it
Yumola. This sounds fantastic. Great post and a high 5. Yummers.chefmeow in Garland loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!