AFRICAN STICK BREADFrom minitindel 7 years ago
- 1-1/4 cups beer shopping list
- 1/2 stick of butter shopping list
- 4-teaspoons brown sugar shopping list
- 1- egg beaten shopping list
- 2- cups white bread flour shopping list
- 2- cups whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1- envelope instant dried yeast shopping list
- 1-teaspoon salt shopping list
- long sticks shopping list
How to make it
- put the beer, butter and sugar into a saucepan, bring to a boil then remove from the heat and set aside to cool until lukewarm.......
- add the beaten eggs
- place the flours, yeast and salt in the bowl of the electric mixer and make a well in the center
- pour in the beer and egg mixture and mix to form a soft dough
- knead the dough until smooth and elastic
- place the dough in a greased bowl, loosely cover with some greased plastic wrap or shower cap, and place in a warm , draft -free place until dough has doubled in size, about an hour............
- knock back( punch down) the dough
- this is the fun part;.....divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into the shape of a snake...............
- wrap the dough along the length of the sticks, leaving ample space at the end for holding the sticks over the fire........
- hold the dough over the slow burning coals and turn occasionally until the bread is cooked and browned about 7 to 12 minutes... depending on the heat of the coals.... the dough will slide off the stick easily when cooked.............
- makes 8
The Cookminitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
The Rating5 people
This is the most clever use of dough I have ever seen.
Great for camping!trigger in loved it
Very interesting - I'm gonna have to ask my neighbor for a beer tho'!! Thanks for sending this to me.jett2whit in Union City loved it
what fun, spring has sprung and summers on it's way so this is definitely a keeper to try soon @:}capedread in Peterborough. Cambridgeshire loved it