Cinnamon Spice Nut MixFrom peetabear 8 years ago
- 4 cups assorted whole nuts (such as walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, almonds, and macadamias) shopping list
- 2 egg whites shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon shopping list
- teaspoon salt shopping list
- teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice shopping list
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
How to make it
- If using hazelnuts, preheat oven to 350. Spread hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet or pan. Bake, shaking the pan once or twice, until nuts are lightly browned and fragrant, 10 to 12 minutes. Wrap warm hazelnuts in a clean dishtowel and let cool 10 minutes. With the towel, rub off as much of the papery skins as possible. Add to bowl with the other assorted nuts. (You can omit this step if not using hazelnuts.)
- Reduce oven temperature to 225. Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper; coat with vegetable oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add nuts, tossing to coat well.
- In another large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg. Blend well. Add nuts, tossing until evenly coated with sugar mixture.
- Spread nuts in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, separating with a fork. Bake until coating is dry and crunchy, about 2 hours. Let cool. Store airtight at room temperature up to 1 week.
- Yields 4 cups