Celery Soup with Blue CheeseFrom bismyno1 7 years ago
- 1 lb (450g) celery (1 large head, trimmed weight) shopping list
- 2 oz (50g) butter shopping list
- 1 potato (about 7 oz, 200g), peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 pint (570ml) vegetable stock shopping list
- 1 small onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 5 fl oz (150ml) single cream shopping list
- 5 oz (150g) blue cheese, rind removed and crumbled shopping list
- salt and freshly milled black pepper shopping list
- FOR THE croutons shopping list
- 4 oz (110g) thickly sliced white bread, crusts removed and cut into small cubes shopping list
- 4 tablespoons walnut oil shopping list
How to make it
- First of all separate the stalks of celery from the base and trim, reserving the leaves for a garnish - the trimmed stalks should weigh 1 lb (450g).
- Scrub them in cold water, drain them, then slice across ito thinnish slices.
- Now in a large saucepan melt the butter and stir in the celery, the chopped potato and the onion.
- Stir everything around to get a good coating of butter, then put a lid on the pan and, keeping the heat at minimum, allow the vegetables to sweat for ten minutes to release their buttery juices.
- Then uncover and pour in the stock and bring it up to simmering point.
- Cover again and cook gently for 30 minutes: after that test that the vegetables are tender and, if not, re-cover and continue to cook until they are tender.
- Next remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream, then liquidise the soup along with the crumbled cheese until it is quite smooth.
- Return the soup to the rinsed-out pan and re-heat very gently (do not boil at this stage).
- Taste and season with salt and pepper and serve the soup sprinkled with the chopped celery leaves and crisp croutons (made by heating the walnut oil in a large frying-pan and frying the cubes of bread in it until golden-brown).
The Cookbismyno1 IE
The Rating4 people
Interesting recipe! I make a potato cheese soup here at home that is pretty mild, but your recipe sounds really bold and tangy - great recipe! I especially like the walnut oil on the croutons; the nuttiness of the oil would make a nice counter-poin...morefizzle3nat in Waterville loved it
yummy! Anything with blue cheese has my FIVE.mamalou in Attleboro loved it
I have to try this soup! It sounds so delicious!elgab89 in Toronto loved it