Spinach Pie with Homemade Filo Pastry SpanakopitaFrom symposio 7 years ago
- For the Filo Pastry shopping list
- ½ kg hard flour shopping list
- 150g vegetable margarine shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- For the Filling shopping list
- 1kg fresh spinach shopping list
- 1 bunch spring onions shopping list
- 1 bunch aromatic spring herbs (in Greece, kafkalithres, paparounes, mironia etc) shopping list
- 1 bunch fresh anise shopping list
- ½ kg feta cheese shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 level teaspoon salt shopping list
How to make it
- Preparation of Filo pastry- 1st part
- Mix the flour with the salt and enough water to make the dough pliable but not moist.
- Knead the cough well and then divide it into 9 equal parts
- Make a ball from each of the parts.
- Leave the balls on a dish with flour for at least 1 hour, covered with cling film.
- In this time, you can prepare the filling
- Preparation of the Filling
- Clean the spinach and discard all the hard outer parts, leaving the leaves and the soft stems.
- Rinse it well under cold water.
- Clean the spring onions, spring herbs and anise.
- Cut them all into ½ cm pieces.
- Place in a deep pan and add just 1 level teaspoon of salt.
- Allow it to cook in its own juice for a few minutes – just to soften.
- Drain well.
- Crumble the feta cheese and add to the mixture.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Preparation of Filo pastry – 2nd part
- Flatten 3 of the balls so that they have a diameter of 20cm
- Place these one on top of the other, spreading melted margarine between each of the 3 layers. When you have done this, cover it with cling film and set it aside.
- Repeat this process, so that you have 3 filos with 3 layers each.
- Take the first one and, with a rolling pin flatten it out so that it has 60cm diameter.
- Spread butter over it.
- Spread 1/3 of the filling you have prepared evenly over the surface.
- Make a hole in the centre and fold the filo from the centre outwards so that you end up with a circular ‘tube’ with the filling in it.
- Cut this anywhere, so that you have a single long cylinder.
- Cut this into 7 equal parts.
- Take the parts and roll them each into coils (see photo).
- Place them in a shallow, buttered oven dish.
- Repeat the process with the other 2 filos.
- Spread margarine over all of them and bake them in a preheated moderate oven for 40 minutes or until they have a golden colour.
The Cooksymposio Corfu, GR
The Rating4 people
Love it Love it Love it 5 from me
Arthurcookingforfun in Marblehead loved it
This is so different! I thought they always made them into triangles. Can't wait to try this version, thanks!juels in Clayton loved it
My Aunt Katina in Crete makes it this way..Thanks for the memory! High 5!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it