Spinach Pie with Homemade Filo Pastry SpanakopitaFrom symposio 7 years ago
- For the Filo Pastry shopping list
- ½ kg hard flour shopping list
- 150g vegetable margarine shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- For the Filling shopping list
- 1kg fresh spinach shopping list
- 1 bunch spring onions shopping list
- 1 bunch aromatic spring herbs (in Greece, kafkalithres, paparounes, mironia etc) shopping list
- 1 bunch fresh anise shopping list
- ½ kg feta cheese shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 level teaspoon salt shopping list
How to make it
- Preparation of Filo pastry- 1st part
- Mix the flour with the salt and enough water to make the dough pliable but not moist.
- Knead the cough well and then divide it into 9 equal parts
- Make a ball from each of the parts.
- Leave the balls on a dish with flour for at least 1 hour, covered with cling film.
- In this time, you can prepare the filling
- Preparation of the Filling
- Clean the spinach and discard all the hard outer parts, leaving the leaves and the soft stems.
- Rinse it well under cold water.
- Clean the spring onions, spring herbs and anise.
- Cut them all into ½ cm pieces.
- Place in a deep pan and add just 1 level teaspoon of salt.
- Allow it to cook in its own juice for a few minutes – just to soften.
- Drain well.
- Crumble the feta cheese and add to the mixture.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Preparation of Filo pastry – 2nd part
- Flatten 3 of the balls so that they have a diameter of 20cm
- Place these one on top of the other, spreading melted margarine between each of the 3 layers. When you have done this, cover it with cling film and set it aside.
- Repeat this process, so that you have 3 filos with 3 layers each.
- Take the first one and, with a rolling pin flatten it out so that it has 60cm diameter.
- Spread butter over it.
- Spread 1/3 of the filling you have prepared evenly over the surface.
- Make a hole in the centre and fold the filo from the centre outwards so that you end up with a circular ‘tube’ with the filling in it.
- Cut this anywhere, so that you have a single long cylinder.
- Cut this into 7 equal parts.
- Take the parts and roll them each into coils (see photo).
- Place them in a shallow, buttered oven dish.
- Repeat the process with the other 2 filos.
- Spread margarine over all of them and bake them in a preheated moderate oven for 40 minutes or until they have a golden colour.
The Cooksymposio Corfu, GR
The Rating4 people
How unique! I thought I've seen it all when it comes to spanakopita. Nice to know there are still a few "twists!"misslizzi in Philadelphia loved it
My Aunt Katina in Crete makes it this way..Thanks for the memory! High 5!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
This is so different! I thought they always made them into triangles. Can't wait to try this version, thanks!juels in Clayton loved it