Philadelphia Soft PretzelsFrom lacrenshaw 8 years ago
How to make it
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of the warm water.
- Let yeast stand for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the water.
- Mix 4 cups all purpose flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the yeast and enough additional flour to make a stiff dough.
- Knead dough for 10 minutes on lightly floured board OR until dough is elastic.
- Form the dough into a ball, coat with butter, place in bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Pinch off small dough ball and form into a 20" long x 1/2" diameter rope.
- Form dough rope into pretzel shape (OR bake them as sticks, patties, etc.).
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Butter a baking sheet.
- Bring to a boil 4 cups of water.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- Drop shaped pretzels into boiling water .
- Allow to simmer until pretzels float to the surface.
- Remove pretzels with slotted spoon or spider.
- Drain pretzels on paper toweling.
- Place pretzels onto buttered baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with Kosher salt, to taste.
- Bake for 12 minutes OR until golden.
The Cooklacrenshaw Horsham, PA
The Rating11 people
Oh, I'll be the hero when I make these. Perfect, golden soft pretzels are wonderful.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
Now this is some serious pretzel making! High 5!juels in Clayton loved it
As a girl born raised and residing on the outskirts of Philly - I can totally vouch! These amazing pretzels will blow your mind -
Fabulous post Lacrenshaw!! ^^^^^^5555555555555555
Yay Phillies! 2008 World Series Champs!!!madmommy in Wayne loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!