PorcettaFrom lacrenshaw 8 years ago
- 6 to 8 pound pork shoulder shopping list
- garlic cloves, to taste shopping list
- hot peppers (optional & we do not use) shopping list
- dried basil, to taste shopping list
- dried rosemary, to taste shopping list
- dried parsley, to taste shopping list
- Dried oregano, to taste shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 to 3 cups of water shopping list
How to make it
- Trim as much of the fat from the pork shoulder as possible.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Cut slits in the trimmed meat and insert sliced garlic cloves and hot peppers, if desired.
- Rub with the herbs/spices.
- **Fresh herbs do not work as well in this dish as dried.
- Place pork in a heavy Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add water to a level about halfway up the sides of the roast.
- Bake, covered, for approximately 11 hours (while you sleep!).
- Remove meat from oven.
- Stir with meat fork to break up or shred the pork.
- Allow to sit for any grease to rise.
- Defat meat juices.
- Eat, eat, eat and enjoy!
- **It's a safe bet that the aroma will waken you during the night. That's a good time to check the water level in the pot.