Sweet Potato Crescent RollsFrom babskitchen 8 years ago
- 2 pkgs. (4-1/2 tsp.) active dry yeast shopping list
- 1 cup warm water (110º - 115º) shopping list
- 14-1/2 oz. can mashed sweet potatoes (I can't find them already mashed often, just use a regular size, about 15 oz., drain and mash them yourself) shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup shortening shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt (use entire amt.) shopping list
- 5-1/2 cups flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup melted butter. shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water and let stand for 5 mins.
- Add remaining ingredients, except melted butter, to the above. Beat to form a dough. Knead on a well-floured surface for 6 - 8 mins. Put in a greased bowl and turn.* Cover and let rise until doubled in size for 1 hr. Punch down and allow to rest for 2 mins.
- Separate into thirds. Roll out each 3rd into a fairly thin circle and brush on melted butter. Using a pizza cutter, cut into twelve pieces (should be like a pie with twelve wedges). Roll into crescents, starting at wide end, rolling up to the point. Put onto GREASED baking sheets. Repeat with two other sections of dough.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 mins. Bake in a 375º oven for 13 - 15 mins., for 2 baking sheets, or until golden brown on top as well as the bottom.
- These can be made ahead, baked, and then frozen. Defrost for about an hour, then bake in a 350º oven for 10 mins. on a greased cookie sheet. Place sheet as high up in oven as possible.
- *A rising method I learned from Alton Brown that works great - get a tall plastic container (so you can see the dough). Grease well, place dough in and turn to grease the dough well. Cover the top of the plastic container with a clean kitchen towel. Place in oven (with oven off!). Boil some water and put in a second bowl and place that in oven. Close the door. The steam creates the right amount of heat to make the dough rise as needed. Works great every time! Do not use this method for the second rise, however.
The Cookbabskitchen Ft. Myers, FL
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!