Better Than Take-out Orange ChickenFrom pastywhitegirl 8 years ago
- For the Chicken: shopping list
- Two 8-10oz chicken breasts, cut into 1-2 inch chunks shopping list
- 1 cup Bisquick or boxed baking mix shopping list
- 1/2-3/4 cup milk shopping list
- salt & pepper, to taste shopping list
- oil for deep-frying (i use vegetable oil) shopping list
- For the orange Glaze: shopping list
- 3/4 cup orange marmalade shopping list
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce (sweet or honey is best) shopping list
- 1/2 cup orange juice shopping list
- 1 T cornstarch shopping list
- 1 T minced garlic shopping list
- 1-2 tsp ground ginger shopping list
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (can adjust for taste) shopping list
- 2 T soy sauce shopping list
- 1 T teriyaki sauce shopping list
- salt & pepper, if desired shopping list
- Prepared white rice, for serving shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in pan (i use a large sauce pan) or fryer to medium-high.
- In medium bowl, mix the baking mix, milk, salt, and pepper until desired consistency. (You want this to be a little thicker than the consistency of pancake batter.) If too thick, add more milk; if too thin, add more baking mix.
- Dip chicken pieces in batter and fry in batches until golden brown and chicken is done; about 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer fried chicken chunks to small bowl; set aside.
- Prepare the sauce.(You can do this while your chicken is frying):
- Stir together orange juice and cornstarch; set aside.
- On medium heat, in sauce pan, stir or whisk the sauce ingredients (except for the orange juice mixture) together until well incorporated.
- Add the orange juice mixture and bring to a boil.
- Simmer on medium-low heat until sauce thickens; about 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and coat well.
- Serve over prepared white rice.
People Who Like This Dish 19
The Cookpastywhitegirl Pleasant Hill, IA
The Rating5 people
Sounds tasty and easy Well worth a try 5 forks from meglennk in Dalmeny loved it
Sounds yummmy! Thanksdragonwings647 in Duchesne loved it
Thanks; My girlfriend loved this. High 5...shibattou in Fort Mohave loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!