Mussel Soup with Avocado Tomato and DillFrom wolfpackjack 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 pounds leeks (3 medium; white and pale green parts only), quartered lengthwis shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 4 (3-inch) sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle lager (I used Foster's bitter... ) shopping list
- 3 pounds mussels (preferably cultivated), scrubbed well and beards removed if att shopping list
- 1 cup half-and-half shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground white pepper shopping list
- 1 (8-ounce) firm-ripe avocado shopping list
- 18 very small grape or pear tomatoes (1/4 pound), halved shopping list
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill shopping list
How to make it
- Wash leeks in a bowl of cold water, agitating them, then lift out leeks and pat dry.
- Cook leeks in butter in a wide 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add thyme and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in beer and water, then increase heat to moderately high and bring to a boil.
- Add mussels and return liquid to a boil, partially covered. Cook, completely covered, stirring occasionally, just until mussels open wide, checking frequently after 4 minutes and transferring to a large bowl. (Discard any mussels that remain unopened after 8 minutes.)
- Working over a bowl, remove mussels from shells and put in bowl (discard shells along with any clinging leeks). Pour any cooking liquid accumulated in bowl back into pot.
- Pour cooking liquid through a sieve lined with a double layer of cheesecloth or dampened paper towels into a 2-quart heavy saucepan.
- Stir in half-and-half, salt, and white pepper, then heat over moderately low heat until hot (do not let boil).
- Stir in mussels and heat until just warmed through.
- Meanwhile, halve avocado, then peel 1 half (wrap remaining half tightly in plastic wrap and reserve for another use).
- Cut into 1/2-inch cubes, then toss gently with tomatoes and dill in a bowl.
- Divide soup among 6 shallow bowls and spoon some avocado mixture into each. Serve immediately.
The Cookwolfpackjack Raleigh, NC
The Rating5 people
Yeah, I get the first comments and 5-s! Love everything about this soup! Looks elegant, gormet and sooo delicious! Flagged you for beauty, too!juels in Clayton loved it
What a coincidence - it has all the ingredients I love,too! Hahaha!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
I love all these ingredients too! Fabulous!clbacon in Birmingham loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!