Blueberry-Almond Baklava with Orange Blossom HoneyFrom lillyann 7 years ago
- 1/4 cup orange blossom honey shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice shopping list
- 1 whole vanilla bean, split lengthwise shopping list
- BLUEBERRY-ALMOND BAKLAVA shopping list
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for buttering pan shopping list
- 3/4 cup warm water shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract shopping list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest shopping list
- 2 cups dried blueberries shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups sliced almonds shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- # 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- # 1/2 teaspoon ground mace shopping list
- # 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough, thawed shopping list
How to make it
- FOR BLUEBERRY-ALMOND BAKLAVA: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine warm water, almond extract, lemon zest, and dried blueberries. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain well.
- In a food processor, pulse the almonds 3-4 times until coarsely ground.
- In a large bowl, combine blueberries, almonds, sugar, and spices. Set aside.
- Unroll the phyllo dough and cover with a damp kitchen towel, this will keep the dough soft and pliable.
- Place one sheet of dough in bottom of a baking pan. Lightly brush with softened butter. Continue to layer and brush the dough repeating 8 times.
- Sprinkle half of the fruit-nut mixture over dough evenly. Repeat 8 sheet processes again and top with remaining fruit-nut mixture. Top with remaining 8 sheets of dough and brush with softened butter.
- With a very sharp knife, cut only halfway through the pastry in 4 equal sections, turn the pan and cut 4 more equal sections in the opposite direction making 16 squares. Cut an X in each square.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and cool in the pan on a cooling rack. Remove vanilla bean from syrup, and drizzle over warm pastry.
- FOR ORANGE BLOSSOM HONEY SYRUP: In a medium saucepan, combine honey, water, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla bean over med-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool uncovered.
The Cooklillyann Colorado Springs, CO
The Rating4 people
I've never made a baklava because of the intimidation factor involved. Your recipe makes me want to try it for the very first time! Thanks so much for making me feel capable, lillyann. You got my five.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
WHat a unique and different baklava!clbacon in Birmingham loved it
Looks fantastic!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it