Roast Garlic Chicken and Walnut SaladFrom chefmeow 9 years ago
- 3 pound chicken shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves sliced thin lengthwise shopping list
- 1/2 cup chicken stock shopping list
- walnut Salad: shopping list
- 3/4 cup walnuts coarsely chopped shopping list
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons champagne vinegar shopping list
- 1 shallot minced shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper shopping list
- 5 cups green leaf, red leaf or other leaf lettuce or a mixture shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- Rub the chicken inside and out with the salt and pepper.
- Using your fingers and starting at the cavity gently separate the skin from the breast meat reaching as far back toward the neck and as close to the thighs as possible to create a pocket.
- Be careful not to tear the skin.
- Slip garlic slices between the skin and the meat spreading them evenly over the breast.
- Place the chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan then add the stock to the pan.
- Roast basting occasionally for 1-1/2 hours.
- Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- In a small fry pan over low heat toast the walnuts shaking the pan often for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the walnut oil, vinegar, shallot, salt and pepper.
- Tear the lettuce leaves into bite size pieces and add them to the bowl.
- Using tongs toss gently to coat the lettuce well with the dressing.
- Arrange the salad on a platter and sprinkle with half of the toasted walnuts.
- Carve the chicken slicing the breast meat and separating the thighs from the legs.
- Arrange the thighs, legs, wings and the sliced breast meat on top of the salad including any bits of garlic that slipped from beneath the skin while carving.
- Sprinkle with the remaining walnuts and serve warm.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!