Black-Eyed Peas and Hog Jowl or Ham HocksFrom chef_irish 8 years ago
How to make it
- Pick over the peas and rinse well, then soak in cold water overnight.
- Place ham hocks or hog jowl in large kettle with water, bring to boil, and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain peas and add to the hog jowl.
- Add whole onion, crushed red pepper, sugar, and salt.
- Add more water if needed to cover peas.
- Cover tightly and simmer slowly 2 hours or until peas are tender.
- Serve with hot cooked rice and cornbread.
The Cookchef_irish Gainesville, FL
The Rating5 people
It tastes allright to me. I wasn't bowled over by the taste though. It's my first pot of black-eyed peas so I have nothing to compare it against.
I question whether a quarter teaspoon of sugar does anything for the dish at all.
morepointsevenout in Athens loved it