Chicken Fried Steak with White GravyFrom chef_irish 6 years ago
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a heavy 9-inch cast iron skillet, to 360º F.
- Using a meat mallet, pound out the meat. Season the steak with salt and pepper.
- Combine the egg with 3 tablespoons of the milk. Put 1-1/2 cups of the flour in a shallow pan and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the steaks in the flour, coating each piece evenly and tapping off any excess. Dip the steak in the egg wash, coating it completely and letting the excess drip off. Dredge again in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Fry the steaks in the hot oil, until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully pour off the oil, leaving behind about 1/4 cup, along with the brown bits.
- Over medium heat, add the remaining 3 tablespoons flour and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Add the remaining 3 cups milk, 1/2-cup at a time, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Season with salt and plenty of pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, whisking constantly. The gravy should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. If it is too thick, add a little water to thin it.
The Cookchef_irish Gainesville, FL
The Rating5 people
This is a favorite of my daughter and grandkids. They love the stuff! You must be like me, most of the great foods, you just have to use the cast iron skillet, it's the only way to cook!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
Yeah baby!! You sure hit this one on the head. My all time favorite comfort food. I like the egg idea. I have never done that.. And the cast iron skillet is key...Thanks for sharing. Saving this to try very soon.... Jimjimrug1 in Peoria loved it
Gotta try this looks delicous thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it