garam masala-crusted chicken with fig jusFrom purplemist 4 years ago
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon garam masala shopping list
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- Two 3 1/2-pound chickens shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth shopping list
- 8 garlic cloves shopping list
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste shopping list
- 4 dried Black Mission figs, stemmed and quartered shopping list
- 1/4 cup honey shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- # Preheat the oven to 450°. In a small bowl, mix the garam masala with the oil. In a roasting pan, rub the chickens all over with the garam masala oil and season with salt. Roast the chickens for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and continue roasting for 1 hour and 15 minutes, basting twice. Return the oven temperature to 450° and roast for about 15 minutes longer, or until the chickens are browned and crisp. Transfer the chickens to a carving board and let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- # Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the chicken stock with the garlic and tamarind paste and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the garlic is very soft, about 40 minutes. Strain the stock through a coarse sieve and press the garlic through. Stir in the figs and honey, cover and let steep until the figs are tender, about 10 minutes.
- # Carve the chicken. Reheat the fig jus, season with salt and pepper and serve with the chicken.